The 25 Best Dog Crates 2019 | Pet-Store
Why Pick Up the Best Dog Crate?
As a caring dog owner, you want to create convenient and safe conditions for its life. Need to transport your canine companion without being afraid of its escape? Or just want to create a secure spot in your house for the pet to hide and rest? If you want to make more than usual crate – check all types of dog houses. Then you need to consider buying one of the most convenient and robust dog crates. Dog Crate is a metal/wire/plastic cage made especially for our four-legged friends. Some of the models are designed specifically for transportation, while others are supposed to be placed at home and serve as a retreat or shelter for your furry friend.
A crate can help your dog pet feel comfortable and protected. It’s the easiest way to carry a pet to the vet, drive a car with it in the salon, or protect people from an aggressive pet (or vice versa). Online and regular pet supplies stores offer the whole gamut of dog crates for sale: you can find metal, wooden, and a soft cage, a small or a large dog crate. No matter what’s the breed, size, or age of your pet, you can always find a perfect dog crate.
Now when the stage is set, let’s observe the best dog crates present online:
Top Choice: MidWest Dog Crate
- MidWest Life Stages is made of durable gauge steel and has a tighter wire mesh
- Double door with two heavy-duty slide-bolt latches
- Rounded corner clips
- The cage can be folded and assembled quickly without instruments
- Leak-proof pan keeps warmth
- Convenient handles that go together with the portable dog crate
- Hinges are not reliable. They can spread open and let the dog out
- The puppy divider doesn’t work with a double door option
- The manufacturer doesn’t accept returns
- Active and larger dogs can break the crate
Being one of the most popular wire dog crates, this model is present in a wide range of sizes starting from (22-inch small dog crates, and finishing by a 48-inch large dog crate). It features a removable double door, a dividing panel, a long-lasting plastic dog tray, the roller feet for more comfortable transportation and floor protection, as well as 1-year warranty. MidWest is the best dog crate for those who need a durable solution that can be easily folded and assembled in a jiffy.
It goes without mentioning convenient handles that go together with the portable dog crate.
Runner-Up: Petmate Sky Dog Crate
- Proper ventilation and visibility from all sides
- 4-way vault door does not slide and shift
- Travel necessities are already included in the kit
- Of all eco-friendly plastic dog crates, this one looks very sturdy and long-lasting
- The sizes of chart is not accurate. The dog might not fit the crate
- The handle seems to break quite often
- The crate itself is too bulky and is not very convenient for traveling
- The crate is shipped in a bad package and often arrives broken
Want something more robust than wire dog crates? Consider a versatile variant from Petmate: this model is also available in various dimensions so that you can order a small dog crate, medium dog crate, or XL dog crate. Durable, thought-through construction makes it an indestructible dog crate: it features a solid plastic shell, non-corrodible wing-nuts, heavy-duty steel wire, and an interlocking door. Petmate Sky Dog Crate is a perfect dog travel crate that can be placed in a car or carried in hands.
Of all eco-friendly plastic dog crates, this one looks very sturdy and long-lasting. Numerous user reviews prove that Petmate Sky Crate is a genuinely reliable dog travel crate.
Best Budget Dog Crate 2019: HTH STORE Crate For Dogs
- Foldable construction (no tools required) with a removable tray
- Dog crate with double door.
- A handle makes it easy to carry
- The materials are durable and 100% washable.
- The space between bars is too wide; some smaller dogs can stick their heads out
- Can’t be reassembled to create custom space for the pet
- Not suitable for extra-large breeds over 65 lbs.
Searching for a non-expensive collapsible dog crate? Pay attention to the dog crate from HTH Store. It has only one variety of size: 48 x 29 x 32(inches).Also, consider that this crate is foldable. Thus, it is not as reliable as unfoldable models. It is more tricky to assemble. However, you can fold it and store conveniently when you don’t use it. But due to the foldable construction, it might break under the heavyweights. So if you have a larger breed like an Irish Wolfhound, you need another option. It goes with a convenient handle and is made from solid steel. HTH Store Pet Folding Crate is easy to clean.
Generally, this is a worthy model, but cheap dog crates of this model have pretty wide space between the sticks, so a dog can put a paw or head out – it’s not safe.
Best Large Metal Crate: MidWest Homes for Pets XXL Giant Dog Crate
- Drop-pin metal construction with L-Bar on top
- The protective coating of metal mesh for long-lasting service
- Heavy-duty 1.5 x 5-inch mesh doesn’t let the dog put out paws or the neb
- Double door with three secure slide-bolt
- This collapsible dog crate can be easily folded and stored safely
- Lacks wheels for more comfortable transportation
- Hard to assemble
- Many sharp details can harm the dog
If you own a large pet, choose an XXL dog crate – MidWest offers a functional and safe solution. This is the best dog crate for large dogs. Being a 54-inch long, this extra large dog crate can fit in your giant furry friend (even for dogs weighing over 90 pounds), and won’t restrict its movements seriously. Dog crate construction includes a double door with drop-pin assembly. The plastic pan is included in the package. There’s an L-Bar safety feature for keeping the cage shape. Please, note that two people should assemble this xl dog crate.
This collapsible dog crate can be easily folded and stored safely. It’s a versatile model. However, it lacks wheels for more comfortable transportation: a person isn’t likely to carry the cage in hands, so it should be moved somehow.
Best Large Plastic Dog Crate: SportPet
- The construction made of durable plastic is very simple in assembly
- The metal bolts and nuts are included in the kit for installing the door
- Two dishes and the food container are included
- It is approved by IATA Airline
- Push & turn lock is installed on the door of the XXL model
- Two handles are attached to the top
- Excellent ventilation.
- The crate is too small for large breeds
- The nuts are not made entirely of metal
- Wheels seem to break under the weight of the dog
- Door latches do not work properly
So if you wonder which of huge dog crates is suitable for traveling, opt for SportPet Designs. It will ensure exceptional convenience and safety for your pet even during long-term transportation. Thanks to wheels, crate can be moved much easier. Please, note that you can also order a brand soft bed additionally.
If you need pretty much the same option, but a foldable one, opt for SportPet dog crates – they ensure an unbeatable level of security and look stylish!
Best Dog Crate For Small Dogs: Petmate Two Door Dog Crate
- Openings allow the air to flow freely through the crate
- The doors can be secured with latches
- Easy to clean due to the door on the top
- Simple to assemble by yourself
- The edges of the openings are sharp and can harm the dog
- The side door is relatively easy to open while the crate is carried
- Sometimes the purchase arrives missing some screws
Petmate dog crate has two doors – on top and the side. Therefore, you can place your dog conveniently, clean the cage, and change the pillow in it without any efforts. This crate will be great for traveling – it meets the specifications of most airlines. The plastic is durable enough to handle the dog in safety for a long time.
You can secure the doors with latches so that the animal doesn’t break out or fall out of the crate while traveling. Sides have many openings to allow the air to flow freely through the crate and offer the dog some visibility. This crate will be large enough for Yorkshire terriers, Toy Terriers, Chihuahuas, and a bit larger breeds like Bichons.
It is a quite decent crate that will be good for transporting smaller dogs. However, sharp edges can be dangerous – make sure to check for them.
Best Travel Crate For Small Dogs: SunCast Deluxe Crate For Dogs
- Meets requirements of airports
- Made of durable resin and wire
- Easy to carry
- Can be fully opened to clean the inside
- Claps that secure the doors are reliable
- Is tricky to assemble alone
- Active dogs might break out
- The bottom leaks
SunCast dog crate is created to meet the requirements of airlines. Therefore, the chances are high that you will not face any issues using it to travel with your dog on a plane. Which is very important because many crates happen not to fit the rules of the airline you’re flying with. Also, this crate will be great for car travels.
The handle is very convenient and easy to carry. The door is large enough not just to fit a dog into the crate but to clean the inside as well. The cage comes with the bowl for food and water, which is very convenient. The crate itself is made of resin and wire and is quite durable. This travel crate will be great for small dogs like chihuahuas and Yorkshire terriers.
SunCast Deluxe dog crate is great for most cases. However, some airlines might not allow cages with bowls. Also, the bottom leaks, so if your dog urinates in the crate, you might get a leakage.
Best Medium Metal Dog Crate:
- The construction is steady and will serve you for decades.
- Easy to clean and keep comfortable for your pet.
- The price is just right for a product that is easy to settle and assemble.
- Some sizes of a model can be bigger or smaller, best to consult before purchase.
- Weak slide-bolt latch and bending wires.
- The pan is not lasting long because of the material.
Do you have a medium-size fluffy friend or a puppy who needs a personal space for resting and still having enough attention from you? Then this dog crate will be a quite suitable choice for medium breeds between 26-40 pounds (English Springer Spaniel, Dachshund) with parameters of 30L x 19W x 21H inches. This crate is designed to keep the ventilation and visibility of a pet at best, so they won’t feel lonely.
The construction of pet crate has a large swing-open door and low thresholds, so there would be no problems of entering and exiting it. New World pet crate has a slide-bolt latch, which is not the best for keeping it closed. Also, it includes leak-proof replacement pan made from polypropylene plastic mixture. The main construction is made from metal that will last for decades.
The manufacturer provides a one year warranty.
Best Wood Dog Crate: Wooden Pet Crate
- Eco-friendly and high-quality materials designed to last longer.
- The design is pleasing and easy to clean.
- Cheap and easy to maintain the piece.
- Wooden bars are easier to chew.
- The metal latch can be insufficient for an active or aggressive pet.
- Although vents allow the pet to peek, the design is still quite isolating.
We want our pets to feel comfortable, but also we value the possibility to very the interior design of our houses. Wooden Pet Crate product is the best decision for using it for multiple purposes: to have a nice looking crate that has additional storage space on the table style top. Casual Home crate is a solid piece wooden, created for durability. It comes in four colors; the material is rubber tree made according to eco-friendly standards.
The product design comes in smooth and lacquered surface and has a metal latch for safe closure. The interior space is comfortable for your pet to rest as you can set a bed inside. The pet crate has spacious vents, which also help your pet to feel safe and have troubles with air access.
It suits perfectly for smaller pets with a weight under 25 lbs (Terrier, Chihuahua). The Wood Dog Crate interior and exterior dimensions are 21″W x 33″D x 26″H and 24″W x 36.5″D x 29.25″H.
Best GraceShop Luxury Dog Crate:
- Strong latch and overall durability of construction.
- Metal pan.
- Plenty of space for your large pet.
- Wheels can be the weak part of the construction.
- High price.
- No specification of color coat material.
This luxury dog crate is specially designed for large dogs who experience anxiety or afraid of storms. The construction is made from a heavy steel frame that is hard to deform or break. Pet Crate built for serving decades with the closer placement of the bars, so your pet cannot try to chew it. The construction has four casters, two with locks for avoiding moves, which enables you to set product properly.
It is easy to fold, assemble, and store it. The construction includes a metal pan that is easy to remove and clean. Overall dimensions are 48.8″L x 33″W x 37″ H. It is best suited for large, active, and strong breeds, as crate holds up to 330 lbs (Basset Hound, Greyhound). The interior space of the crate will allow your pet to rest and stay visible for you.
Best Soft Dog Crate
Available in 21, 26, 30, 36, and 42 inches, this soft dog crate will be a good fit for the smallest dogs (a pug, for example, or a poodle). The owners of larger pets may also find it useful, as 42 inches will be more than enough for 80-pound doggies. Boxers and Australian shepherds will be comfortable in this AmazonBasics soft dog crate. The sizes in-between, in turn, will accommodate medium-sized pups (like a bulldog or a Siberian husky).
This crate comes with two doors and mesh windows, which provides decent ventilation on all four sides. Add secure zipper closures with fastening straps, and you’ll get a bargain. Yes, the doors can be zipped/unzipped, which is quite handy and time-saving. Plus, the soft dog crate for crate-trained dogs features polyester fabric and a sturdy PVC frame.
It’s important to say that polyester fabric is perfect for harsh weather conditions. It can easily withstand rain, snow, and your pup will be more than comfortable. To set everything up with this folding dog crate, you’ll only need a minute. You won’t even need any tools for that. Furthermore, it folds flat – that means you can take it with you on the next trip.
It is very easy to clean the crate, as it’s accessible both from the front and the top. But please keep in mind that “chewy” dogs like to ruin the zippers. That means this purchase won’t be suitable for crate training. Last but not least, the company offers a limited 1-year warranty.
- Very easy to set up
- Can be folded for transportation
- Four-sided ventilation
- Perfect for rain and snow
- Only for crate-trained dogs
- Destructive dogs tend to chew up the zippers
Best Single/Double Door Dog Crate:
If you’ve been looking for a versatile 1-/2-door crate, this one might be right up your alley. First of all, this Amazon single/double door dog crate is made of sturdy metal – the frame is brick-strong. Secondly, it features not one, but two slide-bolt latches on the doors. You won’t have to worry about security and safety.
There’s also a divider panel that can turn it into a more comfortable environment for your smaller pup. One of the best things about this Amazon dog crate is the removable plastic pan. As you can imagine, with it, cleaning out the crate won’t take more than 1-2 minutes. Owners of larger dogs, in turn, will be happy to learn that their four-legged friends will fit inside the crate comfortably.
The list includes American Staffordshire Terriers, Boxers, Collies, and other breeds. One final thing: since this is a cage-like crate, the wind will continuously flow in and out, making sure your dog gets enough fresh air. AmazonBasics offers a standard one-year warranty. The most significant downsides – the design isn’t very attractive. Plus, there’s no protection from rain and snow.
- Easily accommodates the largest dogs
- Composite plastic pan for easy cleaning
- Sturdy construction, slide-bolt latches for both doors
- Divider panel for reducing the size
- Folds flat for storage
- A wrong choice for a rainy or snowy day
- Looks like a cage rather than a crate
Best Dog Crate And Dog Backpack: EliteField
The impressive selection of colors is one of this folding soft dog crate’s most standout features. On top of that, it comes with three doors (and perfect ventilation), and a durable steel-tube frame. That means it can “hold” even the most active dogs in and the structure won’t break. While folded, the crate takes very little space and is easy to carry around (like on a trip).
Lightweight, durable, and made of hex mesh fabric + 600D fabric, it could very well be one of the best offers in its class. The EliteField 3-door folding soft dog crate also comes with a carrying bag and a fleece bed. And, there are several handles and straps that allow the owner to fold and carry it in many different ways.
The company is generous enough to offer a 2-year warranty instead of the standard 1-year deal. The size range is 20 inches to 42 inches: the crate can accommodate most dog breeds, including, say, a Labrador Retriever or a Basset Hound. This is a waterproof crate; however, the top screen doesn’t have sun protection. Furthermore, the pattern cuts are poorly made and will probably be a problem in the long run. More about Dog Backpack in our review
- Available in 14 different colors
- Features a durable frame (made of steel tube)
- Three mesh doors for ventilation
- The cover and bed are easily removable
- Two-year warranty
- The cuts on the pattern are average at best
- The top screen lacks cover (no protection from the sun)
Best Dog Crate For Beginners: MidWest ICrate
In many ways, this crate is similar to the one made by AmazonBasics. However, there are some differences, and the biggest one – the package. With the MidWest iCrate starter kit, you get not only a crate but also a cover, a bed, and even two bowls. As for the colors, you’ve got blue, pink, and black to choose from. On top of it all, the bed and cover can be washed in the machine.
Add a strong frame and decent ventilation, and you’ll get a solid pick for a large dog owner. Yes, it is available in XL and fits dog breeds of a similar size. Retrievers, Dalmatians, and even Doberman Pinschers will feel cozy and comfy inside this starter kit. Now, the construction is not only sturdy but also easily folded. To assemble the crate, you won’t need any instruments – most folks get it done without the user’s manual.
Similar to most entries on our list, the company offers a 1-year warranty for this iCrate crate slash starter kit. As for the downsides, the design is a bit too “prison-like,” and while there’s a cover, it isn’t waterproof. Other than that, for moving around with our favorite pets, this offer has enough pros to consider picking it over the competition.
- The package also includes a bed, a cover, and two bowls
- Available in black, pink, and blue
- Machine-washable bed and crate cover
- Sturdy frame, good ventilation
- Very easy to fold
- Not the most attractive design
- The crate cover isn’t waterproof
Best EcoFlex Dog Crate With Table:
Here, we have a somewhat controversial dog crate. On one side, it is made of long-lasting wood plastic that will serve you for years. On the other hand, the plastic can’t withstand the claws of even medium-sized dogs. True, the stainless steel bars are strong enough, but the plastic isn’t. Next, while the design is very old-school and looks more like a tiny room than anything else, the ecoFlex pet crate only has one door.
Plus, it might be a challenge to clean it because of the irregular design. The good news is – this pet crate is perfect for X-large dogs. If your four-legged friend weighs +/- 100 pounds, EcoFlex could very well turn into its new home. It is capable of protecting the pup against rain and snow. As for the colors, the company offers four different variations, including white, grey, black, and brownish (it’s called Russet).
Small, medium, large, and X-large – those are the size options. The potential clients can expect to get a standard 1-year warranty.
- Made of long-lasting wood plastic composite
- A perfect fit for X-large (up to 100 pounds) dogs
- Beautiful “retro” design
- Rain- and snow-proof
- Available in four colors
- The plastic isn’t very sturdy (most dogs can damage it easily)
- Only comes with one single door
- Not very easy to clean
Single Door Metal Dog Crate For Small Dogs
For some people, 2-door crates are an exaggeration, and they look for 1-door alternatives. If that’s the case with you, then this single door metal dog crate might be exactly what the doc ordered. Made by Carlson Pet Products, it is available in blue and is only fitted for the smaller dog breeds. That’s right: Pugs, Toy Poodles, and Beagles will feel comfortable in there, but even medium-sized pups will be cramped up.
The good news is – the entire crate is made of steel (the sturdy kind) and is more than capable of holding your pets in. The crate can be easily folded for transportation, and the bed is removable. The only door on this metal dog crate has an advanced and highly secure locking system.
Now, while it does look good in blue, we still don’t like the cage-like design. Of course, it is good for ventilation, that’s true, but your furry friend won’t be protected from rain, snow, sand, or other weather conditions. There’s no information on the warranty, though, which, of course, is bad news for most potential clients.
- Compact, easy to assemble and fold
- Sturdy, “handles” even the most active dogs
- The bed is easily removable
- Excellent ventilation
- Only fitting for the smallest dog breeds
- No protection against rain/snow/sand
- No warranty info on the official website
Indoor Dog Crate by Merry Pet:
Fans of extravagant and versatile crates will probably appreciate what Merry Pet has to offer. First of all, the exterior design is quite fancy. Secondly, this 2-in-1 dog crate is made of high-quality wood (and not plastic or steel like most). On top of it all, you can use it as a gate, or, rather, wall, and thus provide more space for the pet to live in.
The plastic plate at the very bottom is removable (makes it easier to clean both the plate and the whole crate). Assembly doesn’t require any special skills. In the “classic” mode, the crate is intended for large dogs – for instance, Golden Retrievers. But, again, if you use it in the second mode, that will allow you to house in more than one dog.
Another interesting fact about this Merry Pet crate/gate: it can be used as an element of décor. Yes, it looks like a piece of furniture, and most folks put books, glasses, vases, and other stuff on it. Nothing special about the warranty: the company offers a 1-year guaranty.
- Unique 2-in-1 pet crate/gate
- Made of high-quality wood
- Comes with a removable plate, easy to assemble
- Can be used as a piece of furniture
- The topper isn’t secured: strong dogs can push it out and get out
- Pretty expensive for a dog crate
Best Wood & Wire Dog Crate
Speaking of dog crates that look like furniture, let’s take a quick look at what Internet’s Best has to offer. This beautifully-designed crate has a double door on the front and a single one on the side. The bed, in turn, is removable, meaning you can easily wash it in the machine and then put it back once you’re done. As the manufacturer puts it, we’re dealing with a decorative piece of pet furniture.
Made of MDF and metal panels on the sides, this wood & wire dog crate is highly reliable and durable. Plus, the dog will always get enough sunlight, and the crate will protect it from harsh weather conditions. As for the size, this Internet’s Best dog crate is best suited for medium-sized dogs. Larger breeds will have a hard time fitting in there.
Add a standard one-year warranty, exotic creamy-white finish, and satin nickel hardware for locking up the doors, and you’ll get a decent crate for your pup. The package comes with detailed user instructions, but, in all fairness, you won’t need them. This wood and wire dog crate is straightforward to assemble. Sadly, it doesn’t fold, which means it will be harder to move the dog around.
- Can serve as a beautiful piece of multi-functional furniture
- Built with MDF and wire panels, very sturdy construction
- Highly-quality materials – dogs can’t chew through them
- Efficiently protects against harsh weather conditions
- Three doors for easy access
- Not suitable for larger dog breeds
- Doesn’t fold for easy transportation
Petmate 2 Door Crate For Small Dogs With 2 Door
While this 2-door dog crate is similar to several ones we already reviewed, it does have some standout features. First of all, it is available in six different sizes. They are perfect both for the smallest pooches and the largest dogs. And, thanks to the divider panel, you can “fine-tune” the amount of space the pet will have inside of the crate.
Secondly, the Petmate dog crate features a trademark five-point lock that makes it impossible for pups of all sizes to break out. Add the ability to fold it into a 2-inch construction, a sturdy, long-lasting frame, and a removable pan, and you’ll get a winner. As the name suggests, there are two entrances (doors) – one on the side, and the other one on top.
Heavy-gauge wire combined with e-coat finish (rust-resistant) is perfect for a frame like this. The rest is the same as with the other cage-type crates. You get a 1-year guarantee, a basic, average-at-best design, and zero protection from rain and snow. Plus, even though the manufacturer claims otherwise, the ends aren’t very round. You might end up hurting yourself when trying to get the pup out.
- Accommodates all sizes (from 10 pounds to 110 pounds)
- Removable pan (easier to clean)
- Five-point locking door
- Easy to assemble, easy to fold
- Basic design; looks like a birdcage
- The ends aren’t rounded enough
Black Luxury Dog Crate Zoovilla Crate For Dogs
The fans of furniture-like dog crates might want to check this one out closely. Zoovilla’s offer is equally elegant and versatile. Available in black and white, it is only offered for medium-sized dogs. If you want something smaller or larger, you’ll have to switch to the Cage + Crate variation (more about it later).
The triple-door crate (yes, there a double door on the front and a single one on the side) can be used as furniture. And, it comes with a removable tray which makes it easier to keep the whole thing nice and clean. For indoor use, the Zoovilla dog crate is an excellent choice. However, it’s quite limited in all the other aspects.
As mentioned, to accommodate a smaller or a larger dog, you’ll have to switch to the second configuration. With it, you’ll get not only two additional size choices, but also a “cage inside of a house” construction. It features panels that make it look like furniture while the cage serves the primary purpose. Both versions come with a 1-year warranty. While assembly is effortless, the package doesn’t include any instructions.
- Beautiful design – can be used as furniture
- Available in two different configurations
- Removable tray, double hinged doors
- Rather warm and protects against precipitation
- Only available for medium-sized dogs (in the triple-door configuration)
- No assembly instructions are included
Best Soft Dog Crate From Pet Home
Available in black and grey, this travel-friendly soft dog crate is only suited for medium-sized dogs. For smaller breeds, it’s a bit too big (which may not always be bad, though). For larger dogs, it will be impossible to feel comfy (or to fit there at all). So, only consider this crate if you own a Poodle, Cocker Spaniel, Golden Retriever, or any other medium-sized pup.
Petsfit, the manufacturer, added not only two doors, but also an “entrance” at the top. It is incredibly lightweight, yet, very sturdy (has a steel carcass), foldable, and easy to assemble. Plus, thanks to the company’s trademark technology (it’s called screw-in-frame), it will only take you 10-20 seconds to set everything up. Yes, this pet home soft dog crate is all about comfort and ease of use.
The fabric is a combination of mesh and Oxford cloth. The biggest downside – buyers won’t get the standard 1-year warranty. Instead, if you’re buying from Amazon, you’ll get 30 days to test out the product and to return it if need be.
- Perfect for the travelers (easy to fold and assemble)
- Advanced screw-in-frame design, no need in tools to set it up
- Removable, machine-washable soft pad
- Two doors and a top entrance
No official warranty (you only get the standard 30-days guarantee from Amazon)
Not for the largest dogs
Heavy Duty Dog Crate by Gelinzon
As the name suggests, the Gelinzon crate is intended for the biggest (or, as they put it, heavy-duty) dogs. And we’re happy to say that large four-legged friends will be comfortable living inside of it. First of all, the frame is made of high-quality steel that’s rust- and corrosion-free. The locks, in turn, are unique and come with safety buckles that make it impossible for the pet to escape.
And, the bold pipes are very hard to chew/damage. Sadly, there’s only one door. However, the crate comes with 360-degree rotating casters. With their help, you can move the crate by rolling it around the room and then lock the wheels to keep it steady. The plastic tray is, of course, removable, and can be easily cleaned. To assemble this Gelinzon heavy duty dog crate, you’ll need less than five minutes.
The locks are pre-assembled, and all you’ll need to do is fit them with the wheels and the frame using eight screw bolts. Last, but not least, the company offers a three-year guarantee, which is the most generous offer on today’s list. Ventilation is excellent (because of the cage-like architecture). However, that also means it’s mostly an indoors crate, as there’s no protection against nasty weather.
- Bold pipes (very hard for a dog to chew on)
- Industry-leading locks with buckles (hard to open)
- Comes with four lockable wheels
- Generous three-year warranty
- The latches could be stronger
- Only has one single door
- Not suited for long-term outdoor use
Best IRIS Wire Dog Crate
With eight distinctive colors to pick from, and a simple, yet effective design, this IRIS wire dog crate is a worthy pick. It is available exclusively in small and large configurations, though, and fits most small and medium-sized dogs. There’s only one door, but it comes with a positive-lock latching system. It’s quite effective at keeping the pet inside.
Plus, unlike most cage-like crates, this one has a roof that will protect the pup from rain and snow. By the way, it’s easily removable and allows creating even more ventilation when it’s off. This wire crate for dogs features epoxy-coated wire sides. We’re talking about heavy-duty stuff that no dog will be able to break or damage.
At the bottom of the frame, you’ll find non-skid rubber feet that prevent the crate from sliding. Warranty is standard (for one year). Please keep in mind that while it’s quite easy to set up this IRIS dog crate, you’ll probably need a screwdriver or a drill to do that.
- Advanced latching system
- Available in eight different colors
- Comes with a removable top
- Heavy-duty wire sides
- Requires a drill/screwdriver to assemble
- Only one access door
Best Internet’s Wire Dog Crate
Small (24 inches), medium (36 inches), and large (42 inches) – those are the available sizes. As for the colors, you have a choice between pink, blue, and black. On top of this Internet’s Best wire dog crate, the manufacturer added a handle for easy transportation (it can be removed). Also, the frame folds to make it even easier to take it with you on a trip.
Double doors with 2-side latches, a sturdy wire-steel frame, and a removable (and leak-proof) pan are also a part of the package. To set everything up, you’ll need two minutes tops. This wire dog crate is, in many ways, similar to the other entries on our list. You get a 1-year guarantee with no option of prolonging it. The overall construction is also quite standard. But the pan and the handle on the top make this crate somewhat unique.
As for the downsides, we’re sorry to say that the latches don’t always line up to each other. Plus, the colors online don’t match those in the real world. Other than that, Internet’s Best offers a decent crate.
- Two doors, both featuring two-side bolt latches
- Removable and leak-proof plastic pan
- Comes with a carrying handle that you can put on and off
- Sturdy wire steel – no dog bites/scratches will damage it
- On some units, the latches don’t line up well
- The colors online aren’t the same as in real life
Best Omlet Fido Studio Dog Crate
Two doors (one on the side, and one on the front), one color (white), and a sturdy frame – those are this crate’s highlights. Plus, there are double locks on both doors and a bed at the very bottom. Yes, this Omlet Fido studio dog crate is quite simple and doesn’t have any fancy features. The manufacturer did cover the top, though, thus protecting the pet from lousy weather.
Regarding the size, there’s a choice between 24 and 36 inches – fitting for small and medium-sized dogs. The frame, in turn, is made of heavy-duty wire. A standard warranty is also a part of the package. Plus, you can fold and set up this Omlet Fido dog crate in just one minute. Finally, the owners won’t have to worry about ventilation, as air will come in and out from three sides.
- Can serve as a piece of furniture
- Two doors, strong locks-latches
- Works both indoors and outdoors
- The design leaves a lot to be desired
- Not fitted for larger dogs
Who Should Buy Dog Crates?
Why looking for dog crates for sale? This is a multi-functional device that can serve many purposes. First, they are bought for safe traveling. Whenever you go, you can’t just take your dog with a harness – it can quickly run away. Instead, consider buying aluminum dog crates for your pets: you will eliminate the risk of escaping and create a safe personal space.
You can protect your dog even more by purchasing a complete kit to track the dog’s location.
Secondly, wooden dog crates and soft dog crates are bought for indoor use. If you looking outdoor solution – read our outdoor dog kennels review. Dog crate should be a beautiful place of retreat for your furry friend. Every family member needs its corner, and a wood dog crate with soft bed can become your pet’s favorite spot for resting and sleeping. Alternatively, such dog crates can be put outside in your backyard. During summertime, dog crate will protect your dog against sunlight and heat.
Dog Crate sizes
|Small;||19×13 inches to 30×20 inches||Good for Yorkshire Terriers, Chihuahuas, Pugs, Boston Terriers, Bichons, Poodles.||Will be ok but tight for French Bulldogs, Foxteriers.||Price – from $15 to $100|
|Medium||30×20 inches to 36×23 inches||Good for Beagles, Miniature Schnauzers, Shetland Sheepdogs, Scottish Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers.||Will be ok but tight for Bull Dogs, Australian shepherds.||From $40 to $100|
|Large||36×23 inches to 42×28 inches||Good for Boxers, Cocker Spaniels, Welsh Corgis, Basset Hounds, Bull Terriers.||Will be ok but tight for Labradors, German Shepherds.||$35 to $265|
|Extra Large||42×28 inches to 48×30 inches||Good for Labradors, Golden Retrievers, German Shepherds, Rottweilers, Dobermans, Rhodesian Ridgebacks.||Will be ok but tight for Irish Wolfhounds, Great Dane.||Price starts from $100.|
Dog Crates Materials Guide:
- Wooden Crates. Wood is a durable and ecological material for dog crates production . It fits almost any interior since wooden crates can have the most sophisticated designs. However, if the wood is not waterproofed, the cage won’t serve you for a long time. Also, if your dog likes to chew on things, the wooden cage is not an option because the pet will destroy it.
- Plastic Dog Crates. It is a truly versatile and rather durable material. Also, plastic crates is very lightweight, that’s why many travel cages are made of plastic. However, plastic will not handle heavy weights. Therefore, such crates are usually not sufficient for large breeds like Labradors and German shepherds, especially if you want to use it for traveling.
- Metal. If you have an active dog, you should choose a strong material. Metal dog crate is durable enough to handle the energized puppy and will keep it safe. However, watch out for sharp edges and details that can harm the animal. Such crates are usually heavier and much more expensive than other options. But if you need a cage that will serve you for years, the metal one is your choice.
- Soft crates. Small dogs will feel safe and sound in a soft crate made of textile. Breeds like chihuahuas, Yorkshire Terriers will fit it perfectly and travel with you on the plane. But even a medium breed like a beagle can tear such crate apart. Also, if your tiny dog is a heavy chewer, opt for other options.
Where to Put a Dog Crate?
Choosing a place for a crate to make sure your pet feels comfortable. Therefore, it should be a spot where there will be not too cold and not too warm. Also, avoid drafts. Otherwise, the dog might catch a cold. So watch your pet and try to determine which spot in the house it likes the most.
Moreover, remember that it should be a safe and calm place for the dog. So try to find a spot where there is not too much action around. The dog must be able to sleep and rest in the crate. The cage should be as stressless and comforting for the animal as possible.
Why shouldn’t you buy used crates?
Used crates are very appealing in terms of prices. They’re much cheaper than new ones. So, understandably, many dog owners tend to stick to used crates. However, it might be not the best option when it comes to durability.
Remember that sellers that try to sell used products often would withhold all the cons of the crate because they want to get rid of it and receive a decent amount of money for it. So they will emphasize all the positive sides. But when you get the crate delivered, you might see that it is not in such a good condition as you were promised.
Frequently, the used crate will arrive broken, or some parts would miss. Also, since the cage was already used, it will serve you a much shorter period. You will get no warranty, no service support. So stick to new crates. They will cost you more, but you will receive a high-quality product with all the benefits.
Important Features to Consider
When on a shopping spree for dog crates, you need to take into account a few crucial factors:
- First and foremost, the model should be convenient for your canine companion. Make sure that there’s enough space to stand up, turn and lie. The pan should be stable and waterproof, and the cage should be adequately ventilated.
- Metal or plastic dog crate? If you need a foldable device, select aluminum or steel models. Plastic crates are not disassembled and require more space.
- When deciding on the material, make sure it’s eco-friendly dog crate. If your pet is likely to bite and chew on the wire mesh, select models without coating and coloring.
- If you need a model for traveling, prefer lightweight models with handles and wheels (it’s especially important for owners of big dogs). Plastic models are highly recommended – they correspond with airline company standards (don’t forget to check the requirements before flying with your furry friend).
- You’ve got a puppy? Buy a cage for its adult size but with a removable divider.
- If you will install the cage at home, make sure it has a waterproof pan. There’s a large selection of wooden and resin devices that would fit the interior ideally.
With a correctly chosen dog crate, your canine companion will feel comfy both at home and when traveling. Dog crate is the warranty of safety for both you and your puppy.
Frequently Asked Questions
The choice and use of a dog crate can be a challenging task, especially for new owners. Here are the most popular questions concerning this device.