The 9 Best GPS Dog Collars and Trackers of 2019 – Pet-Store
How did we choose the best dog tracker options?
To help you make the right choice of a dog tracker, we reviewed numerous variants available online and picked up the most reliable and functional ones. We read numerous reviews of dog trackers, checked the list of functions and features available in each case, and have compiled the list of the dog trackers that are truly worth their price. When it comes to complete control of the dog in the kit to the tracker, it is advisable to purchase an automatic dog door. Here is the full list of best gps trackers for dog.
Best dog GPS tracker 2019: Whistle 3 Pet Tracker
- Email, app, and text notifications
- Tracking of daily activity which helps to keep your animal in shape
- A long-lasting battery (live for up to 7 days)
- Waterproof case
- Fast and precise tracking thanks to GPS for pets, Wi-Fi, and mobile connection
- works in the AT&T network (US) only
- has a monthly subscription fee
- requires a consistent cellular reception
Whistle 3 is an award-winning pet tracking device. We put it firs cause Whistle 3 is the best gps collars for dogs in 2019. For a moderate subscription fee of $6.95 per month, you get a possibility of continuous online tracking of your pet’s activities. With the weight of less than 1 once, it doesn’t create any trouble for a dog. Additionally, this pet tracker allows to control the pet’s activity level, set goals, and track the progress on the screen of a smartphone. An interesting option is drawing the dog’s daily route on a map so that you could check it in the evening.
Although this is the best GPS dog collar from the point of functionality, there are a couple of drawbacks. Whistle 3 is available in the US only, so in this case, collar GPS covers the US territory only.
Runner-Up: Mishiko GPS collar
- A rechargeable battery (gets only 3 hours to be recharged)
- Package includes a wireless charger
- The lightweight and waterproof case
- AI-based obesity diagnostic instrument
- Possibility to set up activity goals and fitness programs
- the battery life is average
- the tracker tends to lose a GPS signal from time to time, especially when it is not very consistent
- the app is a sort of cumbersome
A substantial advantage of this smart collar with a GPS tracker is the availability of an unlimited subscription plan – for just £99.99 (around $122) you get the tracer plus an unlimited lifetime subscription. With a weight of 1.14 Oz, it is a bit heavier than Whistle 3 but still compact and lightweight for dogs of all sizes. It allows real-time tracking and physical activity monitoring via a mobile app. Battery life can reach 2-3 days, which is not as great as 7 days claimed by Whistle 3. But with a wireless charger (included), recharging makes no trouble.
Mishiko GPS collar accurately defines where your pet is being supported in 150 countries. Good news: Mishiko GPS collar service plan is unlimited!
Best Budget Pick: GPS Pet Tracker with LED
- GPS Pet Tracker that stretches well adjusts to pet’s neck and comes in 3 sizes
- The LED light that shines in 3 modes and doesn’t waste much energy
- it tends to run large
- not too sturdy for intensive use on large and stubborn dogs
Pet tags are, probably, the cheapest solution for dog tracking. The GPS Pet Tracker is a waterproof nylon collar with LED lighting, which is ideal for attaching a GPS pet tag, such as Dynotag. It doesn’t have a built-in GPS module; instead, it serves as an unusual collar with customizable LED lighting and reflective strips of various colors. It comes in three sizes, and its total length varies from 13 to 26.3 inches.
Please, note this is plain a GPS pet collar! It does feature a dog GPS system, but for better control we recommend Whistle 3 Pet Tracker.
Best GPS Dog Collar: Tractive GPS XL
- The rechargeable battery lasts for six weeks
- Worldwide tracking
- Tracking in real time
- The waterproof case of GPS dog tracker
- no unlimited plan is available
- bulkier and heavier than the counterparts
- a mobile app is a sort of cropped – for example, one can’t to change the settings of the live mode with it
Tractive GPS dog trackers come in five variations. As the name suggests, its XL option is intended for large and ultra-large dog breeds. The recommended dog size is 40 lbs. and above. The weight of the device itself is 4 Oz. It is larger and heavier than its counterparts, which allowed to equip it with a more powerful battery that can live up to 6 days. As for the subscription fee, there are 5 pricing plans available. The cheapest one is £ 3.33 ($4) per month.
Best Pet Tracker Without Monthly Fee: Findster Duo
- a range of up to 3 miles in the open field
- the battery life from 12 hours up to 7 days, depending on the mode used
- no subscription fee, no SIM card, no cell coverage required
- works in all countries of the world
- the range decreases severely in dense areas
- when switching to the active tracking mode you need to stay near the pet
- doesn’t suit for indoor or remote tracking
Findster Duo is a pet gps tracker without subscription! Moreover, Findster Duo+ can work without a SIM card, and even without cell coverage. Pet tracker uses a proprietary MAZE technology, which provides a real-time free GPS connection. Track your pet at a distance of up to 3 miles outdoors and monitor its activity level on the screen of your smartphone. The tracker is lightweight (0.8 Oz.) and compact. Being completely waterproof, it suits for all types of outdoor activities. An easy-to-use app is compatible with both iOS and Android platforms.
This is a great pet tracker for indoor use to keep tabs on the pet while you’re working or traveling.
Best GPS Dog Tag: Dynotag
- waterproof case of pet tracker is made of stainless steel and coated with polymers
- no electronic tags and batteries (GPS Dog Tag has a lifetime warranty)
- visitor log stored in the personal account
- the metal plate can irritate the skin;
- if your pup is lost, you have nothing to do but rely on those who will find it.
One of the most popular products from its category, This GPS dog tag is an excellent low-budget option. Dynotag is one of the few GPS tags with passive GPS technology. Activate the tag on the backside of the coin, and enter the contact information. As soon as a person who has found the lost dog scans the QR code, they would be able to contact you. Alternatively, one can visit a personal web-page via any web-browser, even without a smartphone. A convenient option is a private web-page where you can store all important information about your pet and even protect it with a password if needed.
Best Garmin Dog Tracker: Garmin Astro 900
- Offers both GPS and GLONASS satellite reception
- TOPO mapping for users from the US and southern Canada
- The tracker can work for 48 hours
- Additional features for hunting dogs
- The speed of the data transfer decreases if the battery is low
- The tracker can’t be connected to the mobile device
- Quite expensive
To choose the best tracker for dogs by Garmin, we bought and tested all of them. Eventually, we were left with two best options – Astro 430 and Astro 900. And we picked the second one because Astro 430 is way more expensive, yet it doesn’t have many more features than Astro 900. We’ve decided that those extra features Astro 430 has are not worth extra $200.
This pet tracker is meant to be used during hunting. It tracks the speed of the dog, the distance and time. Thus, you can improve your training. The tracker weighs around 250 grams, and its battery can work for up to 48 hours. However, you should note that the lower the battery is, the longer it takes for the tracker to send the data to your handheld device.
You can connect up to 20 collars to the handheld device, and all of them can be tracked only with it. The tracker is enhanced with high-sensitivity GPS and GLONASS satellite reception. Therefore, it will capture the location even in difficult areas. Even when your pet goes out of the safe zone (the territory it allowed to investigate), this dog tracker will find your furry friend. The US and southern Canada citizens get access to preloaded TOPO mapping.
Best Amazon Dog Tracker: Tile Pro with Replaceable Battery
- Very small and lightweight
- Tile community can help you find your dog
- The battery is replaceable and lasts for one year
- Loud sound signal
- The distance is short (only 300 feet)
- The customer support is bad
- The chime button on the tracker is very sensitive
This simple pet tracker with a pleasant design weighs only 15 grams. That’s why it is perfectly suitable for both large and small dogs. Tracker comes with a replaceable CR2032 battery that is guaranteed to work for one year after you activate it. This dog tracker is controlled from the phone – you need to download a free app and connect Tile to it. The distance between the tracker and the mobile device must not exceed 300 feet. Otherwise, the connection will be lost.
However, there is a Tile community within your app. And if your dog ran away too far, you can ask other users to see its location since they can access your Tile with their apps. Thus, you can find your pet with the help of others. And if the dog is within 300 feet, you can send a loud signal to its Tile to summon your pet.
- Very small and lightweight
- Allows creating safe zones
- Allows communicating with the dog
- The default collar fits dogs only above 5 lbs
- Sim-card is needed
- The customer service is off
This pet tracker allows creating safe zones – invisible fences that will create a custom area. Once the dog leaves or enters this area, you will get a notification. Also, you will see not just the current location of your puppy, but the places where it was as well. Moreover, this tracker for dogs allows you to call your pet and communicate to it via the device.
The lithium battery in this tracker lasts for 80 hours and can be charged. The pet tracker device is controlled via an dog app, and you will need to purchase a sim-card for this dog tracker. The default collar is suitable for dogs above 5 lbs, but it can be replaced – the collar itself doesn’t impact the work of the device.
Who Should Buy a GPS Dog Tracker?
No matter how big or small your pet is, a GPS dog collar won’t hurt. There are many reasons to purchase this device for an animal. First and foremost, it ensured the unbeatable safety of pet: no matter where it goes, you will always locate it thanks to the recent technologies. Even well-behaving dogs can sometimes get distracted by a raccoon or a squirrel, and run away accidentally(to avoid this situation, try to combine dog tracker with wireless dog fence). But with a GPS pet tracker, you will make sure that it gets home safely. Unfortunately, GPS Dog Tracker is not enough if your dog is under control or you want to restrict dog moving inside the house, in this case, better to start with in-house dog crate
Are there any other use cases? What if your male dog is an object of interest for many other female dogs walking in a park? Prevent interaction using a GPS pet tracker and keeping the situation under control. Besides, if you have someone to take care of the dog while you’re away, a GPS dog collar will show whether the dog is being walked and played with enough.
What is the Difference between Dog Collars for Small Dogs and Dog Collars for Large Dogs?
A dog tracker is a small portable device, which is commonly attached to a collar or a harness. Some of them come with a collar included; for others, you need to buy a collar separately. It is essential to choose the right collar that is sturdy enough to hold the tracker and not too heavy for the pup. Firstly, measure your dog’s neck size and choose the collar that fits this size. Secondly, check the material and the overall quality to make sure it is sturdy enough.
As for GPS trackers themselves, they work similarly, irrespective of the dog size. However, since large dogs can carry more massive devices, dog trackers for large dogs are usually equipped with more powerful batteries.
Dog GPS Trackers: What Is Included?
The package content of GPS trackers varies from one manufacturer to another. A standard set is a tracker and a wired charger. Some options come with batteries and some extra accessories, such as a wireless charger. Finally, some trackers are supplied with compatible dog collars.
You need to keep in mind that in most cases, the cost of a tracker doesn’t include a subscription fee. Meanwhile, the fee can vary in the range of $3-$9 per month. Thus, using the Whistle 3 tracker, you’ll have to pay $6.95 monthly. That said, it is not impossible to find all-in-one solutions. Thus, the Mishiko GPS collar comes with an unlimited lifetime subscription option, which is available at a price of approximately $122.
Important Features to Consider
- Battery Life. The longer it lasts – the better. It doesn’t let gadget run out of energy right in the course of the walk. The battery should last at least for 24 hours – otherwise, a pet tracker won’t be of much use.
- The waterproof case is equally important for a GPS dog tag and a collar. On the street, dogs love swimming, playing in puddles and simply running in the rain. Make sure that the device won’t be affected by moisture.
- Real-time tracking. The whereabouts of a dog should search in real-time pet tracker system. If a signal gets lost in the woods or building, even one minute delay can make finding dog problematic. Make sure that you can always see where the pet is at the exact second.
- Subscription service. Note that a decent GPS dog collar usually comes with a monthly fee. As a rule, paid services provide a much better level of service.
We cannot always keep an eye out on our furry friends, especially when it comes to dogs who are always extremely active in the fresh air. But what we can prevent is a complete loss of animals because modern technologies allow us identifying their location in a matter of a few seconds.
With the best GPS dog collar, you can always find your dog and be sure it’s safe in case of unknown unknowns. Such investment pays off in the long run – it ensures total security and provides real-time information, no matter where your furry friend is.
With the help of our top products chart, pet owners can make a sensible choice and find the gadget that’s tailored to their budget, preferences, and requirements.